Tuesday, July 12, 2005

On Love (Richard Bach)

(Got this as a 'forward' and normally dont believe everything a 'forward' claims. I am not certain that this is indeed Richard Bach's work but since I have not read all his works, I will give the benefit of doubt to the forward)

I once had a friend who grew to be very close to me. Once when we were sitting at the edge of a swimming pool, she filled her palm with water, held it before me and said "You see this water carefully contained in my hand? It symbolizes Love."

I thought about this for a long time and this is how I saw it:

As long as you keep your hand open and allow the water to remain there, it will always be there. However, if you attempt to close your fingers round the water, it will spill through the first cracks it finds.

This is the greatest mistake that people do when they meet love. They try to posses it, they demand, they expect and just like the water spilling out of the palm, love will run away from you. Love is meant to be free and you cannot change its nature. If there are people you love, allow them to be free beings.

If you love someone, set them free. If they come back they're yours; if they don't they never were.

Give and don't expect.
Advise, but don't order.
Ask, but never demand.

It might sound simple, but it is a lesson that may take a lifetime to truly practice. It is the secret to true love. To truly practice it, you must sincerely feel no expectations from those who you love, and yet an unconditional caring."

No comments: